Thursday, June 25, 2015

Safe in America

I'M BACK!!!!! First let me start this post by thanking everyone for their prayers and well wishes over the last three years. Also, thank you for allowing me to share my thoughts and journeys with you. And for those that thought I posted too many pictures, trust me, I spared your feelings and decided to post "humble bagging" post or pictures. I managed to grow out of "stunt mode" but it's still just below the surface. Wait that was a shady moment, I digress.
Back to my original reason for this post.
Yes...thank you for everything. HOWEVER!!!! I cringe when people make statements such as: "glad you're back where it's safe" "you survived being over there with those terrorist" "so happy you didn't end up on CNN" and I can rattle off a few more. Those statements are so unnecessary. I don't know about you but I manage to watch the news from time to time and from what I'm seeing, I was safer in Kuwait. That's my honest opinion. True there were things going on in the region and in some of the countries that I traveled to but I never felt as if I would be killed or taken. Not even when I roamed Rome alone for a week. Yes, I may have joked with friends about being taken or bombed but I honestly didn't fear for my life. Now flash to Thursday of last week, as soon as I get to a place where a can sit and view the airport's 24 hour loop of CNN, I find that a church had been shot up and people were killed while worshipping.
WELCOME BACK TO SAFETY...REALLY!!!!!! In the three years I've been gone, more people of color have been attacked in various forms by various people for being a person of color than I can recall in RECENT history.
While away I never felt fear due to the color of my skin. If anything I was treated very well. Most of the people around me were dark like me, if not darker. Some of them didn't understand the concept of dark/black Americans but that didn't stop them from treating me like a human being.
Now that I'm back in the good ole U.S. of A let's hope I can survive the terrorist here, INSHALLAH. 

No comments:

Post a Comment